Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Internet Browsers

You don't need to just stick to Internet Explorer or Safari just because they come with Windows and Mac OS X. You've got options!

Firefox
Firefox is a hot browser right now, hotter than Hansel.
The Good:Tabbed browsing keeps all your web pages in one window, add-ons like Adblock keep advertisements and pop-ups from appearing on pages, very secure against programs hijacking your browser, it's skinnable and it's free
The Bad:It's not much more stable than Internet Explorer and it's not much faster either
For:Windows, Mac, Linux

Avant
Avant is a new browser, based on Internet Explorer
The Good:Bookmarks are available anywhere online, tabbed browsing, plug-in options and its free
The Bad:Because it's built on Internet Explorer, it's just as slow and it's not all that easy to use
For:Windows

Opera
Opera is a bit more obscure, but its goal is to become the leanest and meanest browser out there, with every feature of its competitors
The Good:Opera is as quick and easy as it gets for browsers, it also has support for torrents, tabbed browsing, it's likely the safest browser there is and its free
The Bad:Not skinnable
For:Windows, Mac, Linux

My Verdict: Firefox is dominant, and makes an easier transition from whatever stock browser you're running now. But if you're already running that and want a new option, go for Opera.

3 comments:

Alfred said...

Good Info. I'm partial to Firefox as well. I think the security is the biggest upside. I tried Opera, but it didn't work well with my system which is a bit older.

Blogger Beth said...

I just started using Firefox last year. I had been using IE up until then. I really like Firefox though. I'm glad to know I made the right choice.

SlambodyLovesU said...

Internet Exploder, Fire Pox, Slopera? Give me a real option here Holing!