Monday, February 5, 2007

iPod Alternatives


With every new Apple innovation, the press tends to swab all over the latest iProduct. The iPod is no exception. But if you're not feeling the Apple scene, you have options.

Microsoft Zune
The Good: It sports a 30 GB capacity, a 3 inch screen that can rotate to show photos and video and the same sleek intuitiveness that Apple users love. It's coolest feature, though, is its ability to wirelessly share music with other Zune owners.
The Bad: It only works with Windows (at least for now), and while the size is nice, it's the only option you get (you can get an iPod with up to 80 GB for the same price).

Creative Labs Zen Vision
The Good: The Zen Vision has up to a 60 GB capacity, a 4.3-inch screen for pictures and videos (complete with a TV-out jack so you can watch videos on the big screen), an FM tuner and an audio recorder.
The Bad: Like the Zune, it will only talk with Windows. It also features a 60 GB capacity, which still can't compete with iPod's 80 maximum, and at $400, it's more expensive.

Archos 504
The Good: The 504 sports up to a whopping 160 GB worth of music/photos/videos, a 4.3" widescreen display and built-in camcorder and DVR.
The Bad: The 160 GB version is $600.

My verdict: It depends on your OS. Plenty of MP3 players are Windows-only. If you've got Mac OS, stick to the iPod. If you've got Windows and are resistant to Apple, the Zen Vision offers some nice features for a similar price. And if money is no object, that Archos player is amazing.

3 comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I guess I'll stick with my IPod. The price and memory amount are important to me, not all the extra features. I just like having over a thousand songs on a little device.

Is Apple going to try to come up with something else involving IPods to try to get rid of these competitors?

Unknown said...

Great article! I have to admit that I didn't even know there were other options out there until reading your blog. I guess Apple successfully pulled the wool over my eyes :)

You should write a blog about the original IPod vs. the Nano and the Shuffle (basically so that I don't have to do the research myself when I finally have enough money to buy an IPod, ha ha) Or are they all pretty much the same except for how many songs they can hold?

Andrew said...

They're not pretty much the same.

The iPod Nano dispenses Pez.